This exhibition, held on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fundació Joan Miró, took as its focus Rothko’s commitment to creating and controlling the conditions for viewing his work. It highlighted a selection of installations of which the artist approved, including a gallery of canvases first hung at the Phillips Collection, Washington, DC, in 1960, and a series of murals installed at the Holyoke Center at Harvard University in 1964. Among its 84 works, the show included both canvases and studies on paper related to the mural commission for the dining room of the Seagram Building in New York that Rothko accepted in 1958 and abandoned the following year. The Fundació Joan Miró also displayed a selection of canvases hung together in Rothko’s first solo show at Sidney Janis Gallery in New York in 1955. Mark Rothko was curated by Rosa Maria Malet, of the Fundació Joan Miró, and Oliver Wick, then of the Fondation Beyeler in Riehen, where the show traveled after Barcelona.